SME FINANCE: EU Parliament hits the nail on the head
February 16 2011
The European Small Business Alliance congratulates the European Parliament on adopting by a large majority a motion for a resolution on improving SME finance. Access to finance is still one of the major obstacles faced by SMEs today. At the same time, finance is absolutely crucial to help the creation of SMEs and enable their growth. The motion which made its way through the Plenary today aptly highlights the core challenges regarding SME finance and offers concrete suggestions to the European Commission on how to tackle these issues. Emphasising the heterogeneity within the SME spectrum, the likely effects of increased capital requirements in the banking sector on SME lending and the need for simplification of EU funding are amongst the key areas discussed.
ESBA President Tina Sommer said: ''I am pleased with the outcome of today's vote. The document, as well as the wide support it received, shows that the many calls for improvement by SMEs in this area have been heard. ESBA particularly welcomes the realisation that certain obstacles can weigh exceptionally heavy on micro-businesses, which is why even within the SME spectrum, a one-size-fits-all approach does not work. ESBA shares the Parliament's concerns regarding the effects of Basel III on the ability for SMEs to acquire loans and underlines the need for a one-stop shop to create clarity in the jungle of EU funding. However, I do warn against over-focussing on 'highly innovative and fast growing companies', as they represent only a minority of EU small businesses.
ESBA urges the Commission to take this motion for a resolution as a vantage point for the further development of its SME finance policy.''
Motion for a resolution: Motion
- Better Regulation agenda published, work starts now.
- ESBA Welcomes Digital Single Market Strategy, Urges for Thorough Implementation
- ESBA President and President Junker Awarded in Germany
- ESBA Meets Commission First Vice President Frans Timmermans
- FSB Conference Big Success
- ESBA Secretary General speaks at FEE
- UK Federation of Small Businesses in High Level TTIP discussion
- Stoiber Appointed Special Adviser on Better Regulation
- ESBA Welcomes Junker Commissions Approach to Better Regulation
- ESBA Speaks at EVLIA conference in Venice
- German ESBA members UMU gives SME Award
- Eurozone banks in better shape than expected
- COSME programme could help many SMEs
- Long-term growth may rests on stimulating investments for SMEs
- ESBA Secretary General Patrick Gibbels speaks to CNBC about access to finance for SMEs.
- ESBA joins forces with SEAP for Annual Event 2014: TTIP
- ESBA secretary-general Patrick Gibbels responds to latest ECB report
- Croatian ESBA members event leads to creation of Tourism Expert Group
- The Commission President candidates clash on the economy but largely ignore SMEs
- Chancellor addresses ESBA UK member FSB's 40th National Conference in Manchester
- Slovenian ESBA member hosts conference
- EU -US Data Protection Battle at the Expense of European SMEs
- Report on ESBA Event Running a Business in Turbulent Times, 20 June 2013
- European Parliament Working Breakfast: Small businesses express concerns over data protection rules
- Small businesses call for shifting focus in data protection debate
- ESBA Honorary President Tina Sommer delivers SMEs stance on European Common Sales Law at European Parliament hearing
- Euronews Business Awards
- Is Bigger Better?
- ESBA Annual Event 28 June 2012: ''Micro-Business: Your Favorite Employer''
- ESBA Member speaks in Parliament to cut red tape
- Small businesses in dire need of finance
- ALDE launches campaign to boost SMEs
- ESBA President Tina Sommer gives small business perspective at Trier conference.
- ESBA Joins Lisbon Council's 'SME Council'
- Micro businesses exempted from burdensome EU accounting rules
- Institutions see the need to diversify within the SME spectrum
- Tina Sommer speaks on SMEs and the Internet
- ESBA Member UMIS-SMEA Organises Succesful Event in Dubrovnik
- ESBA MEMBER FSB AND MEPs SEND STRONG MESSAGE TO COMMISSION ON TRAILER HEIGHT
- SME definition revisited
- ESBA urges President Barroso to improve the regulatory environment for MSEs
- 23 June 2011: ESBA Annual Event
- German ESBA member UMU awards Commissioner Oettinger
- ESBA Welcomes European Commission's Unitary Patent Proposals
- ESBA Members from Spain and Gibraltar Sign Historical Agreement
- ESBA represented at FSB conference Liverpool
- Review of Small Business Act adopted: Member States to Pick up the Pace
- ESBA supports European Parliaments move towards EU patent
- Small Business Act Reviewed
- Council Rejects Parliament's Push for Increased Maternity Leave.
- ESBA Launches Written Declaration on Reducing Administrative Burdens